I am issuing this statement from within the embassy of the Republic of Turkey in Kuala Lumpur. I was transported to the embassy earlier this morning fearing that my personal safety was in danger. I thank all those who offered to assist me in this time of need and am grateful to the Turkish Ambassador for extending an invitation to seek refuge within the Embassy.
Since the March 8th elections, numerous credible sources from within the government and military intelligence have advised me that certain agents from within Barisan Nasional leadership have initiated plots to cause harm to me or my family or my supporters. I have been told that my assassination has not been ruled out as means to subvert the people’s will and bring an end to the transformational changes taking place in Malaysia.
Notwithstanding the threats which are intended to silence my voice, I intend make public new evidence implicating that the Inspector General of the Police Musa Hassan and the Attorney General Gani Patail engaged in criminal acts of fabricating evidence in cases launched against me in 1998.
The allegations that have been made against me on Saturday are nothing more than a replay of the events which transpired in 1998 when I was sacked from the office of the Deputy Prime Minister, jailed and beaten, and then charged and convicted by a kangaroo court for crimes which I never committed. This charade was orchestrated by a corrupt Barisan Nasional leadership which made use of the entire apparatus of the state power including its control of the judiciary, the police force, and its grip on the mainstream media. These actions are being repeated today to undermine the forces of reform and renewal which were unleashed in the March 2008 elections.
I would like to assure my family, friends and supporters in Malaysia that I am safe and remain committed as ever before to continuing the struggle for a free and just Malaysia.
ANWAR IBRAHIM[Original Posting]
The Star Online; 30 June 2008
PUTRAJAYA: Parti Keadilan Raykat leaders decided Sunday morning that the party's de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim stay at the Turkish Embassy for his safety after he received death threats.
His family visited him at the Embassy at Jalan U Thant Sunday evening, PKR vice-president Azmin Ali said.
At a press conference earlier Sunday, Anwar's wife and PKR president Datin Seri Wan Azizah Ismail said the death threats had come less than a day after an aide of Anwar's had lodged a police report alleging he was sodomised by the one-time deputy prime minister.
She said PKR had released pictures of the aide showing him with cabinet ministers and their high-ranking staff, which she claimed was evidence of political assassination.
Anwar was was sacked by former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad over similar allegations in 1998.
Federal CID director Comm Datuk Mohd Bakri Zinin said the police would conduct a thorough and fair investigation into the sodomy allegations.
They will also investigate the allegations before taking a statement from Anwar, he said.
Earlier Sunday, Current Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi reiterated that the Barisan Nasional Government was not behind the latest allegation of sodomy against Anwar.
Stating that he was shocked on hearing the police report lodged by an aide of Anwar on Saturday night, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said he would leave the police to conduct investigations on the allegations and to take the necessary action.
He said he or the Government did not instruct the police to take any action.
On Anwar's statement that the allegations were a complete fabrication to kill his political career, as in 1998 when he was sacked as Deputy Prime Minister, Abdullah said the Government had nothing to do with the police report.
"We are not (involved). Umno and Barisan Nasional did not plan to trouble, disturb or accuse him.
"I believe even my friends like (Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri) Najib (Tun Razak) did not have any intention to do such a thing to him," he told reporters here on Sunday after launching the Bumi Hijau programme.
Abdullah said the alleged victim has the right to lodge a police report if it had really happened.
When asked if Anwar would be arrested following the latest allegation, Abdullah said he did not want to speculate on the matter and would leave the matter to the police.
Meanwhile the aide, who had started working at PKR about three months ago to help in the 12th general election, had lodged a police report alleging sodomy by the PKR leader at about 5.45pm on Saturday.
The man, in his 20s, is being treated at a hospital in Kuala Lumpur.
Anwar called for an urgent press conference at 1.20am Sunday morning to deny the allegations.
In a statement read out by PKR vice-president Sivarasa Rasiah at a hotel in Shah Alam, he described the allegations as “total fabrication”.
The statement, which was also faxed to media offices, said: “The police report lodged against me today is a complete fabrication. I believe we are witnessing a repeat of the methods used against me in 1998 when false allegations were made under duress.”
Sources said police were waiting for the medical report from the hospital before proceeding with investigations.
They also said Anwar was expected to be called up by the police to have his statement recorded.
DAP adviser Lim Kit Siang posted in his blog early Sunday morning that he had spoken to Anwar over the phone and "he is expecting the worst."
"SMS and phone calls have been flying around of imminent police action against Anwar Ibrahim.
"I have spoken to Anwar over the phone and he is expecting the worst," Lim said.
Anwar and his adopted brother Sukma Darmawan Sasmitaat Madja were found guilty by the Kuala Lumpur High Court on Aug 8, 2000 on the charge of sodomising Anwar's former family driver, Azizan Abu Bakar, at Sukma's apartment in Tivoli Villa, Bangsar, between January and March 1993.
Anwar was sentenced to nine years' jail while Sukma received six years and ordered to be given four strokes of the rotan. Sukma was also convicted by the High Court on a charge of abetting Anwar in the commission of the offence.
In 2003, the Court of Appeal dismissed their appeals.
Anwar was first convicted for corruption on April 14, 1999 and was jailed for six years.
He should have been released on April 14, 2003 after a one-third remission but had to start serving his sentence for the sodomy offence, which the court ordered to be served consecutively.
Anwar was freed in 2004 after the Federal Court acquitted him of the charge of sodomising his former family driver.
The three-person Federal Court bench reached a 2-1 majority decision when they allowed the former deputy prime minister's appeal and overturned the conviction and nine-year jail term six years after his sacking as deputy prime minister.
The panel headed by Federal Court judge Justice Abdul Hamid Mohamad also allowed Sukma’s appeal.
Court of Appeal judge Tengku Baharuddin Shah Tengku Mahmud concurred with Justice Abdul Hamid while Federal Court judge Justice Rahmah Hussain dissented.
Justice Abdul Hamid Mohamad held that from the record of appeal, he found evidence that the appellants were involved in homosexual activities and was inclined to believe that the alleged incident at Tivoli Villa did occur.
However, he said the Federal Court could only convict Anwar and Sukma if the prosecution had successfully proved beyond reasonable doubt the alleged offences stated in the charges based on admissible evidence and in accordance with established principles of law.
"We may be convinced in our minds of the guilt or innocence of the appellants but our decision must only be based on the evidence adduced and nothing else," he said.