PETALING JAYA: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim dismissed the sodomy accusation, saying he has a strong alibi to prove his innocence.
“I have ample proof and witnesses,” he said at a packed press conference at the PKR headquarters here yesterday.
Anwar was silent for a few seconds, then took another question, before replying to a question on his whereabouts on Thursday night last week when his 23-year-old former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan alleged that he had been sodomised by Anwar.
The PKR de facto leader declined to elaborate on the matter, saying he had been advised by his lawyers to refrain from doing so.Compared to the first time when he was charged with committing sodomy in 1993, Anwar said he was well prepared with facts and documents now.
“Back then, the police stole my diary and never returned it. We struggled to think of what happened years ago. This time, events are still fresh in my memory. There is the diary and witnesses.
“No way am I going to give them an easy route this time. I will fight them hard and effectively, because it is the second round of dirty conspiracy,” said Anwar.
He also alleged that a prominent leader and two other people close to the politician were part of a three-person team behind the sodomy allegation.
“I don’t blame the accuser. I blame the conspirators in this game for using people as pawns,” he said.
Anwar said there was a statutory declaration which he would reveal in due time, stating the politician and the other two people had held secret meetings with Mohd Saiful.
“This person, supposed to be my staff, working for me, but having secret meetings with them, aneh sekali...(very strange),” Anwar said.
To another question, Anwar believed the sodomy accusation was re-used 10 years later because “they think this is the best (way) to cause anxiety and disgust among Muslims.”
He called on the police not to spring a surprise arrest, adding his lawyers had written three letters to the Inspector General of Police and the Attorney-General indicating his willingness to co-operate in the investigation.
“They did not reply until today. Take my DNA, take my hair ... my hair is everywhere, except this part,” said Anwar as he smiled and patted the middle part of his scalp.
Asked if he would lodge a police report on the “death threats” he received, Anwar replied, “Let’s see how they investigate my report about the fabrication of evidence lodged against the IGP and the AG.”
He also mentioned a former Chief Justice and a Federal Court Judge had apologised to him for the cases involving him in 1998 and 1999.
He urged them to have the courage to publicly state their case.
On his two-day stay at the Turkish Embassy, Anwar lambasted the Government for creating an issue over whether he was invited.
“Anyone in the right mind will know it is not possible for me to enter the Turkish Embassy without permission in this high-profile case,” he said.
In Shah Alam, Anwar lodged a police report alleging abuse of power by Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan and Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail regarding his infamous “black eye” case.
He spent about 35 minutes lodging the report at the Selangor police headquarters yesterday afternoon. He left without speaking to reporters.
Selangor police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed Anwar had lodged a report against Musa and Abdul Gani.
It is learnt police have forwarded the report to the Anti-Corruption Agency to investigate as the report was on alleged abuse of power which came under the purview of the ACA.
A large group of PKR supporters were prevented from entering the police headquarters.
The supporters became agitated, shouted slogans and pushed the main gate as 60 policemen stood behind it together with a small team of light strike force.